Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Gay-Stapo, headed by Dan Savage



"I hope you don't pray to Jesus with that mouth"



Saddleback? Really? The KJV is like three feet thick with names to call your crazy Conservatively "Progressive" Church and you come up with Saddleback?

I don't get how people get away with saying things like firstly "Black Folk" and getting away with it, but also getting away with talking about a significant portion of the population like it is this crazy minority. Perhaps the confusing wording of Proposition 8 made some sort of difference (like, perhaps, 5%?) that influenced the outcome. Making marriage fair is not some policy change which will cost taxpayers millions of dollars, it won't make anyone get married to anyone that they don't want to get married to in the first place and it certainly won't make your straight marriage worth anything less than what you make it.

I'm not the kind of person who lets her opinions make others uncomfortable, but goddamn. I'm queer, and maybe you are too, or maybe you're not and that's fine, but everyone who sits there and says "I don't like you" like I have a choice in the matter. Everyone who has made me angry at myself for who I am can take a good look at themselves, and maybe just blame it on someone else if you're Ted Haggard. [Disclaimer: I'm not saying that Ted Haggard wasn't abused or that he should just suck it up. I am, however, saying that his sexual abuse figures into exactly one half of that whole gay meth-head prostitute-the meth and the hatred towards himself and his family enough that he couldn't just admit it and let everyone get on with their lives]

This has gone beyond respecting your opinions if you can't respect others' inasmuch as letting them express their love.

1 comment:

Debaser said...

Look, I don't agree with that guy, but I don't like how Savage kept speaking over him. Maybe that's what they do on this show, i don't know, but you got to let the assholes speak, too.

Black folk is okay to say, i think. And a lot of black folk did vote for Prop 8. A lot of minorities did. It wasn't just the Mormon church.

Have churches been vandalized? i feel like they could have been and Savage still would have adamantly denied it.

It shouldn't have been a votable thing in the first place. It was a vote about whether or not we should take people's liberties away. Can people just propose voting on anything?