Sunday, January 27, 2008

Preschoolers are awesome

So for one of my classes, I have to submit a short report on an academic presentation that I have witnessed. Mine? Show and tell, of course. I am ridiculous.

Grinnell College Preschool students have small-group show and tell every Friday. Two students, both five years old, one girl and one boy, presented something to me and his or her classmate. Because it is usually a toy of a souvenir from a trip, the students are “experts” on what the object or story means to them.

One student brought a Strawberry Shortcake doll that had once belonged to her mother. In showing me the doll, she let me hold it and made me smell her forehead, which had, at one point, been scented like strawberries. Her classmate showed us a ticket from the San Diego Zoo, and a plastic snake that he got there. Seeing as this five-year-old knows more about insects and reptiles than I ever will, he explained to both of us girls what kind of snake it was. I read them the fact sheet that came with the toy. Show and tell develops story-telling skills in preschool aged students and requires them to explain and relate to their peers.

I feel like I'm giving a report on a book that I haven't actually read. The reaching that I'm doing to fulfill obligations. I don't think I'm going to be able to keep a straight face while doing this.

No comments: